Total Pageviews

Monday, 6 February 2012

Mumbai FC stun title-hopefuls Churchill 2-1

Pune: A struggling Mumbai FC pulled off a major surprise as they upset the title aspirations of Churchill Brothers by surging to a 2-1 comeback victory over the Goans in their 19th-round I-League clash at the Balewadi Sports Complex in Pune on Monday.

This was the Mumbai outfit's first win in the New Year after six straight losses, beginning with the defeat against Chirag United Kerala on January 4. The victory will also help them stay away from drop zone for the present as they went six points clear of Chirag United, who are 12th.

Mumbai now have 17 points from 19 matches, while Chirag are on 11 from 18 with their one game against Pailan Arrows to be played on a later date.

The surprise defeat against a side languishing in the lower part of the table left the Manuel Gomes-coached Churchill on 33 points and in fifth position, a rung below another Goan outfit Salgaocar Sports Club and seven adrift of Dempo SC, who have played one game more.

Churchill looked on course to take full points - which would have given them a slot in second place behind fellow Goans and table leaders Dempo - when ND Opara put them ahead in the 20th minute of play.

But Mumbai FC had other ideas as they first equalised with nine minutes left for the half-time whistle through Cavin Lobo, before getting the match-winner in the 83rd minute when Dhanachandra Singh found the mark with a header.

Churchill deservedly took the lead when Henry Antchouet, who moved up from the midfield, advanced from the left before sending a cross into the box. Roberto D'Silva was lurking around there, but realising that he was heavily marked, the Brazilian cleared the ball for Opara, who shot home.

Unlike in the past few matches, Mumbai relentlessly attacked the rival area and the Goan citadel nearly fell but PC Lalwmpuia missed from close range with just rival 'keeper Arindam Bhattacharya to beat.

But Mumbai kept up the pressure and got the equaliser. Nigerian Gbeneme Friday sent a measured cross into the box from the right that Lalwmpuia shot at the goal, but Bhattacharya punched it out only to see the ball go straight to Lobo. The Mumbai FC midfielder had enough space between the defenders to unleash his shot into the goal.

On resumption, Mumbai FC continued to attack, though without much success, and as the match looked destined to end in a stalemate, Dhanachandra scored the winner.

Dhanachandra sent in pass from the right that was relayed back to him by Friday that he headed into the goal.

Cavin Lobo was adjudged Man of the Match.


Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Design by SEO Services | Sponsered by Blogging Tips - Blog Tips | Marketers Promotion | Blog Forum | Submit Link | Add URL | Indian Movies | Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers | Blog 'N' Like - Blogger Social Community